We're looking for a skilled iOS developer to work with us here in the Esri R&D Center here in Portland, Oregon. If you do awesome work, and are awesome to work with, please let us know!
Here's the official job description:
Work on the latest location-aware technology in a fast-paced, engaging environment and play a part in changing the way we work, live, and experience information. This is a great opportunity to design next-gen Esri SDKs on one of the most diverse and widely used platforms in the world. We strive to do meaningful work that helps entire industries, and love working closely with a small team.
- Develop software for use in retail, urban planning, field mapping, data collection, sensor networks, street navigation, and more
- Create an SDK that is a joy for developers to integrate into their apps
- Along with the rest of the team, perform battery benchmark tests and analysis to ensure battery life is maintained during use
- Work with design and development teams to build showcase and sample apps using Esri technology and third party services
- Work with team members to streamline the Geotrigger iPhone SDK for easier support, development, and maintenance over time
- Train support developers to handle edge cases and other issues that may inhibit customers from quickly using the system
- Identify issues and improve code quality, including clear and meaningful documentation
- Attend and speak at the Esri International Developer Summit or other industry conferences
- Maintain feature parity with the Android team
- Contribute to and improve Volta, a battery management testing framework for iOS and Android
- Understand user requirements; design and develop applications for devices that meet real world scenarios
- Bachelor’s in computer science, engineering, mathematics, GIS, or related field, or equivalent experience developing applications for at least three years
- Two or more years of commercial software development experience
- At least two commercially available applications on the iTunes Store
- Excellent knowledge of Objective-C and Apple's core location frameworks
- Experience with mobile software design patterns and resource limitations
- Understanding of algorithms and design patterns
- Ability to work on a team to build quality software in a constantly evolving environment
- Ability to prioritize work based on the needs of the market and the wider team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with the iOS app store submission process
- Prior experience building spatial/mapping applications or software components
- Experience with one or more of the following technologies:
- Cocoa Touch
- GIS or other mapping software such as OpenStreetMap
- RESTful web services
- Other APIs and SDKs
- Ruby or Python
About the Esri R&D Center–Portland
For the last three years, the Portland team has been working on the Esri Geotrigger Service, a product allowing location-based data to be brought to life on Android and iPhones through an API and SDKs that leverage an algorithm that reduces battery drain when using persistent location. The Geotrigger Service currently runs on millions of devices and is used by thousands of customers to change the way their users interact with and receive information. It is one of newest offerings available through the ArcGIS for Developers platform.
Work on the Geotrigger Service has led to several open source projects and other efforts such as MapAttack!, a location-based real-world game. Customers have used the service for a broad variety of solutions, and more are being developed every day.
The Portland office offers a fun and challenging environment with a small team of designers and developers pushing the edges of development, APIs, and SDKs. At Esri you’ll find a friendly team atmosphere with good benefits and room to grow and evolve.
Sound good? Apply here.